This weekend, I had a technological fast of sorts. There was no signal with which to tweet. Had I been able to tweet, though, this is what I would have said:
1. There is no cell signal for any service provider at Charco Azul. #CarajoViejo.
2. Boy Scouts have a hard time grasping the concept of cross-contamination and washing dishes.
3. Despite the fact that there is no cell signal, there is litter strewn along the roadside. #WTHPR
4. I hiked 6 miles in the rain with a group of Boy Scouts who were not informed beforehand that they would be hiking actual “miles”.
5. Because one scout turned green and I’m a weirdo, I ran 2 miles back…in hiking boots and wearing a backpack and a poncho…to send someone in a car. Then, I ran a mile back to rejoin them and finish the hike because, when it comes down to it, you succeed or fail as a team. #AchievementUnlocked
5. Charco Azul is really green. #BrochureFail
6. There should be a Boy scouts for un-Boy Scout-like adults. We can call it Bad Scouts and earn things like the “Liquid Courage De-Merit Badge” and “I Lost My Car Payment in the Casino De-Merit Badge.”
7. I saw the Little Dipper for the first time in at least decade. #LightPollutionSucks
8. You can see hundreds upon hundreds of stars in Carajo Viejo (A.K.A. BFE).
9. Side note: On at least one night a year, you should take yourself and, if applicable, your children to Carajo Viejo to really “see” the stars.
10. The formula for Pink Floyd under hundreds upon hundreds of stars is (Amazing^3). #RockMath \m/
11. There are still places where it looks like this at night:
12. There are still brooks that babble like this one:
13. Fireflys are not extinct.
14. If you want to foster a real-life sense of teamwork and accomplishment in kids, take them to a place that has no connectivity or cell signal.
15. Quiet and solitude are extremely underrated.
16. “The lunatic is in my head…. You rearrange me ’till I’m sane.” #PinkFloyd
17. Small, light brown rats who scratch at your tent when you’re trying to sleep are the real-life exemplar of magical forest creatures…who are, in fact, really gross and not magical at all.
18. On the day of World Series Game Three, I had no idea if the Red Sox won or not, but I was sublimely okay with that. (Admittedly, on Sunday, I was saddened to learn they had been robbed.)
19. I broke hamburger buns with Jesus…and his dad, Jesus.
20. Pink Floyd rocks. \m/